Job Opportunity at Active Silicon – 18/M01
Engineering Manager – “Head of Acquisition Products”
Active Silicon Ltd.
Active Silicon is a market leader in the design and manufacture of sophisticated computer imaging systems. Our products are used in virtually all areas of science and industry, including manufacturing, life sciences, medical imaging, robotics and security, with many products targeted to specific customer requirements.
One of the key areas for the business is high-speed image acquisition cards, or “frame grabbers” and this job description is for the role of an engineering manager able to lead and manage a team of highly-talented engineers, in order to deliver world-class products in a timely manner.
The current product range in this category is here – https://www.activesilicon.com/product-category/frame-grabbers/
|Job Type:||Engineering Management|
|Job Title:||Head of Acquisition Products|
|Location:||Iver, UK (just outside M25, NW London)|
|Hours:||37.5 hours per week, 25 days annual holiday (plus public holidays).|
|Salary Package:||£60-£70k plus benefits, including bonus scheme.|
|Qualifications:||Minimum of a good engineering degree in electronics, physics, software engineering or similar.|
|Experience:||10 years+ hands-on technical development, plus several years’ experience to include project planning/customer liaison/product management/new product introduction.|
The type of person we are looking for
The right candidate is likely to have a good engineering degree, plus perhaps other post-graduate qualifications and a track-record of design engineering in one or more of the fields of (a) high-speed digital hardware design, (b) FPGA design or (c) software engineering. If a specialist in one area, a strong awareness of the other areas is a requirement. Then further experience of people and product management, but still retaining a strong technical knowledge and ability, in order to nurture, motivate and lead a team to produce world-class products that stand out above the competition. One of the most important traits is the desire, drive and enthusiasm to produce the world’s best-in-class products.
- Leadership – being able to inspire, motivate and lead a team of highly talented individuals.
- Success driven – having the desire to produce the best products.
- Technical competency – able to lead by example, peer review and nurture team members throughout the design process.
- Customer/results driven – being able to appreciate and understand customer and market requirements and being able to deliver against these requirements.
- Planning and project management – being able to see the big picture and plan accordingly from the strategic level to the finer details of implementation.
- Communication – good written, verbal and presentation skills – the ability to communicate to board level management, customers, and the engineering team.
- Knowledge/background in imaging would be a benefit but not a requirement.
- Manage a team of highly-talented engineers – lead by example and establish credibility from the quality of your own technical ability and management skills.
- Project manage multi-projects within the team; able to prioritise in a fast-moving dynamic environment – driven by customer requirements, technology, and the ultimate necessity to generate profitable revenue.
- Commercial awareness – ability to make decisions based on business factors as well as technical requirements.
- Communicate clearly to your team and to the Executive Board, presenting timescales, costs and forecasts.
- Liaise with sales and marketing to understand product/market technical requirements.
- Propose ideas and specifications for new products to the Executive Board, and define detailed system-level specifications for your team.
- Liaise with, and visit as required, customers at a technical level as coordinated by the sales department.
- Managing sub-contractors to deliver on-time and to budget – such as PCB routing, mechanical design.
- Communicate the need for high quality – reliability, testability and supportability, and relentlessly promote these critical requirements to the team.
Active Silicon is an established company and has been a leader in imaging systems for 30 years. We have customers around the world and you will have the opportunity for some travel. The company will have a large stand at the “Vision” exhibition in Stuttgart in November and all our R&D team get a chance to visit the show to interact with customers, see technical developments in the market, and have dinner and drinks in the evening with the team.
We have an active social and sports culture. We regularly organise Friday pub visits, nights out and barbecues. There are several opportunities for activities near the company, including a local sports centre, where badminton courts are booked once a week for Active Silicon. The neighbouring Black Park country park is ideal for a walk or run at lunchtime and several people cycle to work (a shower is available).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position please send your application and CV to email@example.com. Please refer in the subject line to “Head of Acquisition Products”.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
AGENCIES – please note we do not want to receive phone calls from agencies. If you have a suitable candidate please contact us by email through this job advert.