Job Opportunity at Active Silicon – 18/S01
Active Silicon Ltd.
Active Silicon is a market leader in the design and manufacture of sophisticated computer imaging systems. Our products are used in virtually all areas of science and industry, including manufacturing, life sciences, medical imaging, robotics and security, with many products targeted to specific customer requirements.
We are currently expanding our R&D team and seeking two Software Engineers who relish the challenges of developing software for leading-edge applications. This is an opportunity to join a diverse development team designing, producing and delivering specialized digital image acquisition products and technologies throughout the world, and across multiple client sectors.
You will take ownership of new and existing software projects and products, working to develop, enhance and maintain them. Software projects include GUI design and implementation, development of user APIs for our customers, and low-level driver work to communicate with our hardware.
- Development of cross-platform scalable applications and libraries (Windows, Linux, QNX).
- Involved in the full cycle of development: specification, planning, design, implementation, test, documentation and release.
- Technical documentation.
- Development of custom applications for tradeshow demonstrations.
- Assist with general product releases.
- Assist with technical support.
The Key Skills required are:
- At least three years’ experience in software engineering and able to write well-structured, supportable code.
- A 2.1 or first class honours degree in computer science, software or electronic engineering, or similar course.
- Essential: C++ (STL), C.
- Useful: Python, C#, CUDA or OpenCL, Qt, boost.
- Good Object Orientated design skills.
- Experience working with imaging devices (CoaXPress, Camera Link) would be beneficial.
- Cross-platform software development (Windows, Linux, QNX).
- Attention to detail / good communication skills / time management skills / teamwork.
As a hands-on and agile company, customers benefit from the contact they have with our engineers directly in pre- and after-sales support, so ability to communicate with customers at a technical level is important. This may also involve some second line technical support for products that you have been involved with.
Being part of a small team, you will be able to influence future product strategy, as well as streamline our design processes.
Active Silicon is an established company and has been a leader in imaging systems for 30 years. We have customers around the world and you will have the opportunity for some travel. The company will have a large stand at the “Vision” exhibition in Stuttgart in November and all our R&D team get a chance to visit the show to interact with customers, see technical developments in the market, and have dinner and drinks in the evening with the team.
We have an active social and sports culture. We regularly organise Friday pub visits, nights out and barbecues. There are several opportunities for sport near the company, including a local sports centre, where badminton courts are booked once a week for Active Silicon.
The neighbouring Black Park country park is ideal for a walk or run at lunchtime and several people cycle to work (a shower is available).
Active Silicon is located near Pinewood Studios in Iver, between Uxbridge and Slough. There are options for transport from Uxbridge tube station and Langley and Slough main line stations. We have free car parking at the office.
We will offer a competitive salary depending on experience, plus potential for a quarterly bonus based on company performance. The company makes an additional 5% contribution of salary to the group pension scheme and offers 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position please send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer in the subject line to “Software Engineer”.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
AGENCIES – please note we do not want to receive phone calls from agencies. If you have a suitable candidate please contact us by email through this job advert.