Senior Hardware Engineer
Active Silicon is a market leader in the design and manufacture of sophisticated computer imaging systems. Our products are used in virtually all areas of science and industry, including manufacturing, life sciences, medical imaging, robotics and security, with many products targeted to specific customer requirements.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Hardware Engineer, with overall responsibility for circuit design and PCB design within the company, reporting to the Head of R&D.
The right candidate is likely to have a good engineering degree, plus perhaps other post-graduate qualifications and a track-record of design engineering in the field of high-speed digital hardware. One of the most important traits is the desire, drive and enthusiasm to produce the world’s best-in-class products.
Job Type: Engineer
Job Title: Senior Hardware Engineer
Location: Iver, UK (just outside M25, NW London)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 25 days annual holiday (plus public holidays)
Salary: £40-55k plus benefits, including bonus scheme
Qualifications: Minimum of a good degree in electronics, physics, software engineering or similar
Experience: 5+ years’ hands-on technical development
This role encompasses two primary areas: firstly, circuit design and schematic entry along with the related system design/architecture, development, testing and qualification of the resulting products from prototypes to production handover; and secondly, the management, company-wide, of the component library and PCB design. In general, the PCB design and simulation will be subcontracted, but close liaison on placement, mechanical considerations, planes and high-speed signals will be required.
- Success driven – having the desire to produce the best products, right first time.
- Can design products to the specification, involving system design and architecture.
- Extensive experience in circuit and PCB layout at high speed (at least 12.5 Gbps) using Altium.
- Familiar with EMI/EMC best practice.
- Planning and project management – able to manage your own time to deliver the projects you are working on.
- Communication – good written, verbal and presentation skills, the ability to communicate to the rest of the engineering team, to suppliers and sub-contractors, as well as directly to customers on occasion.
- Familiar with usage of test equipment (e.g. high-speed oscilloscopes).
- The lead schematic and PCB engineer in the company.
- Managing sub-contractors for both some PCB design and for high frequency simulation.
- Able to support other engineering team members with advice on the use of the CAD tools and company best practise.
- Managing the company schematic and PCB libraries, including 3D models.
- Help maintain the company component database and contribute to new part qualification and entry.
- Test and debug new hardware on the bench to ensure correct operation.
- Perform reviews on designs by other members of the team.
- Help the QA department with approval of new PCB manufacturers and design sub-contractors (can involve travel).
- Work closely with the CTO to define and refine Company Procedures for schematics & PCBs.
Useful additional expertise
The following are a benefit but not a requirement:
- Knowledge/background in imaging.
- Knowledge of JTAG-based test, in particular XJTAG.
- Knowledge of FPGA design tools from the main vendors, in particular Vivado.
- Knowledge of 3D CAD tools, in particular Solid Works.
- Knowledge of C/C++ and VHDL.
In return we offer a position in a profitable and fast growing international company with high ambitions. Being part of a small team, you will be able to influence future product strategy, as well as streamline our design processes.
Active Silicon is an established company with a modern office in Iver, between Uxbridge and Slough. We will offer a competitive salary depending on experience, plus potential for a quarterly bonus based on company performance. The company makes an additional 5% contribution of salary to the group pension scheme and offers 25 days holiday plus bank holidays. We hold regular social events including a summer barbecue and Christmas party.
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please e-mail your CV and cover letter outlining your salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer in the title to “Senior Hardware Engineer”. You must be eligible to work in the UK.
AGENCIES – please note we already work with a select few and cannot consider candidates from other agencies.